I’m a mom of (soon to be) three kids. Obviously “sleep” and “relaxation” are not part of my every day vocabulary anymore. Shoot…they’re probably not even a part of my every week vocabulary. When I started my Rising Up Challenge (click here to view week one and join!) I had to start going to bed early. Ugh. My only time to be alone and finally get some no-think time was diminishing.
Think again! I started doing these simple tasks to help me wake up an hour earlier (made a HUGE difference for me) and I finally fell asleep with a relaxed mind and body. In other words, I finally got to sleep the way my husband does…(kidding…kind of).
Here’s my simple bed time routine:
- Go to bed before midnight
- Stretch (even just simple stretches like these)
- Wash face and take off makeup
- Drink a full glass of water
- Obviously, think about using the restroom one last time before lying down for the night.
- Sometimes I’ll look up something on Pinterest and find good journaling ideas like this one.
- Other times, I’ll just write down simple prayers or big ideas.
- Another good alternative to this may be to read a book.
- Diffuse an essential oil
- Lavender is 100% my jam…even during the day time simply because I think that’s gotta be what Jesus smells like.
- Have a written plan for the next day
- Nothing fancy, but having a purpose when you wake up makes things much easier!
- You can even do this in your phone as a checklist!
- TURN OFF THE TV
These are such simple ways to help switch up going to bed. Giving up TV was probably the hardest part for me honestly, but I couldn’t believe the difference it made! I want to encourage you to try doing one thing differently to try and make a more relaxing atmosphere for yourself when going to sleep.
Comment below what you do to have a good night’s sleep or if you are trying my own routine and how you’re liking it so far!